It was a topsy-turvy week in the NFL last week, but the results didn’t affect our power rankings much. In fact, our top ten stayed constant, despite losses by Seattle, New Orleans, and Kansas City. Entering the final week of the season, there is still one playoff spot up for grabs in the AFC, with Miami, Baltimore, San Diego, and Pittsburgh all in the hunt. Over in the NFC, none of the playoff seeds are set, as Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina, and New Orleans are all fighting for division crowns, first round byes, and wildcards, as Dallas, Philadelphia, Chicago and Green Bay face win or go home scenarios. Arizona is in the wings, hoping for a New Orleans stumble in order to grab the number six slot. Seattle maintains a slim lead over Denver in the power rankings, though both teams are showing some vulnerability as we prepare to enter the post-season.
Here are our Week Seventeen power rankings:
1. Seattle Seahawks (12-3) – The popular Super Bowl pick now vulnerable at home?
2. Denver Broncos (12-3) – Will need to outscore everyone with Miller out
3. San Francisco 49ers (11-4) – Save for Kaepernick, most complete team
4. New England Patriots (11-4) – Must have a bye week to contend
5. Carolina Panthers (11-4) – Riverboat Ron is making it work
6. New Orleans Saints (10-5) – Only as good as home field takes them
7. Kansas City Chiefs (11-4) – Were they sandbagging the Colts?
8. Cincinnati Bengals (10-5) – Steady play needed from Dalton to make a deep run
9. Arizona Cardinals (10-5) – Could be best team since 2008 Patriots not to make the playoffs
10. Indianapolis Colts (10-5) – Got fleeced on Richardson
11. Baltimore Ravens (8-7) – Finally they die!
12. Philadelphia Eagles (9-6) – Hot at the right time
13. Chicago Bears (8-7) – Will the Packers make them pay fr not showing up last week?
14. Miami Dolphins (8-7) – Philbin gets mad props for holding this team together
15. Detroit Lions (7-8) – The cowardly lions need a new coach; this one never did find a brain
16. San Diego Chargers (8-7) – They need help, but headed in right direction
17. Green Bay Packers (7-7-1) – Playing Rodgers is an “all in” gambit
18. Dallas Cowboys (8-7) – Good Tony last week, but defense destined to doom team
19. St. Louis Rams (7-8) – To think they are the weakest team in the NFC West
20. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-8) – They need a miracle, but still a huge improvement from where they started the season
21. Tennessee Titans (6-9) – Big decision coming on Locker
22. New York Jets (7-8) – Despite his best coaching effort yet, it’s time to bid Rex adieu
23. New York Giants (6-9) – Lots of problems to fix in the off-season
24. Cleveland Browns (4-11) – It’s hard to change a culture of negativity, and the players don’t appear to be believers yet
25. Buffalo Bills (5-10) – What a waste of a good defense this season
26. Minnesota Vikings (4-10-1) – What a waste of a great running back
27. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-11) – Will Schiano fall on Black Monday?
28. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-11) – Showing a lot of grit this season after a dreadful start
29. Oakland Raiders (4-11) – Step One, Rebuild. Step Three, Make Profit.
30. Atlanta Falcons (4-11) – When do the Braves start spring training?
31. Washington Football Club (3-12) – No way Shanny is coaching here next season
32. Houston Texans (2-13) – Is Bill O’Brien the answer, or is he auditioning for another job in Texas?